Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Entropy de la vie

The concept of entropy is defined by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the entropy of an isolated system always increases or remains constant. Thus, entropy is also a measure of the tendency of a process, such as a chemical reaction, to be entropically favoured, or to proceed in a particular direction. Well, the reason that I'm talking about Entropy is a rather bizarre connection, even for this blog. It has really hit home to me today that I have a grand total of 3 days left at college full time, before I leave forever, and move on with the rest of my life and don't get me wrong, I'm sure that it will be fantastic at university. Its just I'm having trouble with the concept of not going to my college any more, I've been there for seven years of my life.

Herein lies my connection, Entropy, on both a universal and earthbound scale, is prone to increase, and that is kind of what I can see is happening to all of my friends at college, and indeed anyone going through the education system. You're still a little confused, right? OK, entropy is the tendency of a reaction or system, so if tendency increases, it is capable of doing more things, of becoming bigger and better things than it could previously, like the sand in a sand castle has a lower entropy than the sand blowing around on the sand dunes, because sand that is not in a fixed structure has more potential of "doing" things.

So I guess my point is that we're gaining a higher potential in our lives, we're becoming more capable of living our lives, and whilst that is an amazing thing, I cannot help but be a little apprehensive about what that entails for my future and the futures of all of my dear friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment